One of my most favorite simple meals is steamed potatoes wrapped in lettuce cups with fresh squeezed lemon and dill on top.
Potatoes are actually an extremely healing food, contrary to what our society perpetuates.
“The entire potato, inside and out, is valuable and beneficial for your health: potato plants draw some of the highest concentration of macro and trace minerals from the earth. Potatoes are also high in potassium and rich in vitamin B6, as well as a fantastic source of amino acids, especially lysine in its bioactive form. Lysine is a powerful weapon against cancers, liver disease, inflammation, and the viruses such as Epstein-Barr and shingles that are behind rheumatoid arthritis, joint pain, autoimmune disease, and more. Potatoes will be your allies if you’re looking to fight any chronic illness—to fend off liver disease, strengthen your kidneys, soothe your nerves and digestive tract, and reverse Crohn’s, colitis, IBS, or peptic ulcers.
In addition to being antiviral, they’re antifungal and antibacterial, with nutritional cofactors and coenzymes plus bioactive compounds to keep you healthy and assist you with stress. Further, potatoes are brain food that helps keep you grounded and centered,” says Anthony William.
As if you needed another reason to make this healing dish, it is:
And so, so satisfying.
Potato Stuffed Lettuce Boats
Serves 2 to 4
- 10 Banana fingerling potatoes (any type of potato will work, just ensure they are organic)
- Butter lettuce, washed and separated into cups
- Pinch of dill
- Pinch of cilantro
- Pinch of microgreens
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves for roasted garlic
- Fresh lime and lemon juice
- Steam potatoes in a pan of water in the oven (or in a steamer or double-boiler) at 375 F for about 1 hour. Add the whole garlic cloves into the pan to steam with the potatoes.
- While the potatoes and garlic cook, assemble your plate with greens, avocado and herbs. Squeeze lemon and lime over everything.
- Once the potatoes and garlic are soft and finished cooking, either add them to your plate, or toss in a bowl with more lemon, lime and herbs.
- When you’re ready, assemble your plate with potatoes and stuff them in the lettuce cups. Enjoy this super comforting and nourishing meal.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think!
Until next time,