I look forward to Sunday brunch all week long. (I can’t help it. I love the savory-sweet offerings of a late morning meal.) Usually it’s some variation of the classic pancake theme, but this week I was craving something different. I wanted a savory, decadent, somewhat healthy vegan breakfast muffin… and this spur-of-the-moment creation turned out to be just that.
Vegan “McMuffin” Recipe – A Cruelty-Free Brunch
- 2 gluten-free English muffins (A lot of them are *not* vegan, so make sure to check for eggs/dairy.)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cherry or Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish + flavor
- Hilary’s breakfast sausages (I bought both flavors: Apple Maple and Spicy)
- 2 slices of Follow Your Heart cheese (I used Gouda, but any flavor would work.)
- 1/2 baked sweet potato*
*Bake sweet potato for 1 hour at 450 F in skin in the center of your oven. Slice an “X” shape on either side of your potato before cooking.
- Toast the gluten-free English muffins in your oven at 350 F for about 5 minutes.
- Once the muffin is toasted, cut in half and place a slice of vegan cheese on each muffin. Place back in oven to toast for another 5 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted to your liking, take the muffin out and place each on a plate.
- Assemble the sweet potato, avocado, veggie sausage, tomato, and cilantro between your two slices of English muffin.
Let me know if you tried this recipe and what you thought about it in the comments below.