Mac and cheese has been one of my favorite meals since forever. I love it so much, I probably loved it in my past lives, too. So, it comes as no surprise that as I was rifling through my cupboards this afternoon (they were barren) trying to decide what to create for lunch on this winter’s day with the few odd ingredients I had, I decided to try my hand at creating my own “cheese” sauce to go over gluten-free brown rice noodles I had in-stock.
There truly is never a bad time for mac and cheese. Plus, when it’s vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free, how can you say no?
I was surprised at how simple this was to make and how delicious it turned out. I honestly kind of thought it was going to be a disaster — you’ll be like wtf? when you see my ingredients list — but, trust me on this one. I hope you enjoy this ooey-gooey heavenly mac and cheese “cheese” sauce as much as I did.
- 1 tablespoon tapioca powder (*This is what gives it the thick, creamy texture.)
- 1 cup Pacific carrot-cashew-ginger soup or, vegan butternut squash soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder or mustard (optional, for flavor)
- 1/2 can organic canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (* Note: Trader Joe’s sells this for cheap!)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, for sweetness)
- Feel free to add a few tablespoons of spring water if it is too thick.
If you’ve never had nutritional yeast, it is totally gluten-free and has a yummy cheesy flavor. Plus, it’s packed with B12, so it’s a great way to get that crucial vitamin into your diet.
- Add all of your wet ingredients into your pan followed by the dry. Fold in the dry ingredients with the wet over medium heat until smooth.
- Stir constantly until thick and bubbling. About 10 minutes.
- Pour over organic, gluten-free noodles. Toss really well so each noodle is coated.
- Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and enjoy!
P.S., wondering what to do with all that tapioca flour now? Try making my delicious banoffee pie!
2 comments on “Easy Vegan Mac & “Cheese” Sauce”