If it’s one thing Scotland is known for, it’s potatoes. And I’m very happy to indulge. I didn’t know there were so many varieties!
What a newb, I am, eh?
New potatoes have been a favorite lately. Their gentle, buttery texture mashed and topped with fresh dill and a dollop of vegan butter is heavenly.
But last night I was craving something a little different. So, I ventured to Real Foods in Edinburgh to pick up a few items to experiment with.
Thus, a meal of sweet potato pancakes with “avocado crema” AKA guacamole was born. It’s the perfect meal to welcome autumn with a little spice.
Ingredients for Potato Pancakes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 white potatoes, variety of choice
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro (coriander)
- 1 bunch dill
Directions for Potato Pancakes
- Steam potatoes until soft.
- While the potatoes are steaming, caramelize the onion and garlic together. Set aside. This is also a good time to make the guacamole (recipe below).
- Once potatoes are done, mash. Then, add the onion and garlic and form patties.
- Fry the potato pancakes until golden brown on both sides. If you choose to use oil, try avocado or hemp for a nutty flavor.
- Enjoy your potato pancakes with a dollop of fresh guac and a sprinkle of cilantro (corriander) over top.
Ingredients for Guacamole
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (coriander), finely chopped
Directions for Guacamole
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice, garlic, onion, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Stir until evenly blended.
I hope you enjoy this twist on the typical potato pancake recipe! Let me know if you make this in a comment below!