These pancakes may be allergy-friendly (vegan, gluten-free, nut-free) but they are full of flavor and fibre! They’re the perfect way to celebrate springtime.
· 1 cup cassava flour (or chickpea flour)
· 1 cup plain oatmeal
· ¼ cup plain, no-sugar-added applesauce
· 1 ripe banana
· ¼ teaspoon baking soda
· ¼ teaspoon baking powder
· ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
· 1 ½ cups milk or water (more or less, depending on preference)
· Blueberries or other fruit for baking inside (optional)
· Topping Ideas: Coconut yogurt, maple syrup, fruit compote, jam, chocolate flakes or fresh fruit
- Add all ingredients to a blender – dry ingredients first, then add the wet ingredients.
- Blend it up! You want the batter to be thick but not runny. If it gets too thin, just add more flour or oatmeal. If it gets too thick, just add more water.
- Pour the batter in half-cup portions into a non-stick pan or onto a non-stick skillet, adding blueberries or other fruit to be baked inside. Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on each side – roughly five minutes per side.
- Enjoy the pancakes plain or top with coconut yogurt, maple syrup, fruit compote, jam, chocolate flakes, fresh fruit, or other topping of choice.
Pro Tip: Set your oven to a low temperature. Add the cooked pancakes to the oven to keep warm while you finish preparing the remaining pancakes.
Let me know if you give these hotcakes a try in the comments below!
Until next time,