For my farewell party to Scotland this past weekend, I decided to make a vegan lasagna because it is a delicious and easy way to feed a lot of people on a budget.
This recipe is labeled *easy* because I chose to use organic frozen veggies from Whole Foods for this particular recipe. When I have more time, I will always choose fresh veggies and take the extra time to prep them. But, with an impending international move, this was my best bet.
If you’re looking for a quick meal for a party, this is it!
It was a huge hit at the party and I felt good knowing I was feeding my loved ones with a dish that was a healthy as it was delicious.
- 1 large and deep lasagna pan
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 jars pasta sauce
- 2 boxes gluten-free lasagna noodles
- 2 fresh heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 10 – 15 cloves garlic (less, depending on taste), minced or use a garlic press
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme (use dried herbs as a substitute), chopped
- 3 bags frozen veggies: I chose kale, root vegetables and a mediterranean blend
- Sprinkle Celt sea salt, ground black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Vegan cheese: I chose 1 package of Follow Your Heart and 1 package of Miyoko’s
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 204 C
- Caramelize the sweet onion and half the garlic in a pan until soft. Add in the sliced heirloom tomatoes. Cook until soft. Set aside.
- Steam the frozen veggies until soft. Set aside.
- Prep the lasagna pan with a drizzle of EVOO and a couple spoonfuls of pasta sauce, so the noodles will not stick. Set aside.
- Boil a pasta pot of water. Then, cook the noodles until al dente.
- When noodles are done, drain, then layer your first section of the lasagna in criss-cross fashion.
- Add a sprinkle of fresh herbs, a scoop of the veggies, some cheese, pasta sauce and tomato paste, then add your next layer of noodles. Continue these layers until there is only a layer of noodles remaining on top. Coat top with more vegan cheese, pasta sauce, spices and herbs.
- Once your lasagna is ready to cook, put it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs on top. Enjoy!