This post is the second in my Chakra Series, detailing how to support your sacral chakra. To find the other posts, click here.
What Is the Sacral Chakra?
Sanskrit name: Svadhisthana; dwelling place of the self
The second chakra, also called the Sacral chakra, is located in the lower abdomen, about two inches below the navel and two inches in.
Usually represented by the color orange, it helps our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences. It aids our sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure and sexuality. When the Sacral chakra is either under-active or over-active, life can feel out of balance.
When it is open, your feelings flow freely, and are expressed without becoming overly emotional. You are open to intimacy and can be passionate and lively. You have no problems dealing with your sexuality.
- Overemphasis on sexuality and self-pleasure
- Need to fit into a specific image
- Hormone imbalance and infertility issues
- Fighting the natural aging process
- Lack of self-acceptance
- Externally motivated
- Creatively stifled
- Higher craving for external stimulus.
- Overly emotional
- Emotionally attached to people
- Overly sexual
- At peace with self
- Healthy relationships
- Feelings of pleasure and joy
- Focus on internal, as well as external — balance of both
- Lack of addictions
- Balanced, healthy hormones and reproductive system
- Creatively alive
- Creating abundance
What to Do to Support Your Sacral Chakra
- Inuitive eating
- Listening to what your body tells you it needs
- Yoga for balance
- Slow hikes
- Journaling feelings of desires, destiny manifesting, and your dreams.
- Intimate touch
- Encouraging your creative practices
Mantra: I am healthy. I am creative. I am abundant. I am calm.
Healing Food to Balance the Sacral Chakra
When eating for your Sacral Chakra, focus on foods that help your body find balance. And of course, foods that are orange! (Nature is miraculous — everything is already color coded, we just have to know where to look!)
- Orange peppers
- Sweet potatoes
- Foods rich in Omega 3s: flax, almonds, walnuts, sesame
- Spices like cinnamon and turmeric
- Since this chakra’s element is water, make sure to stay hydrate with water and herbal tea.
Sacral Chakra: Yoga Flow for Creativity
I hope you enjoyed this post!